Congratulations on running for office!
Would you like to request the endorsement of the 42nd Legislative District Democrats?
You can request endorsement by emailing the Chair your request no later than June 5, 2021.
We are excited to learn more about you and your candidacy, and look forward to your participation in our endorsement process.
We will be using the Whatcom Democrats Candidate Questionnaire.
We are collaborating with the Whatcom Democrats so candidates will only need to complete a single questionnaire. Make sure you complete this questionnaire as soon as possible. You can contact the Whatcom Democrats here https://www.whatcomdemocrats.org/contact/ to request a questionnaire. Additionally, you may submit a statement so that our membership may get to know more about your values and goals. Limit your response to no more than 500 words. Please include a Resume or CV, along with all relevant campaign contact information. Questionnaire responses and your additional submittals will be shared with our members for review as they are received, starting Friday, 6/1. We will do our best to forward on all questionnaires received prior to the Endorsement Meeting, however we cannot guarantee those received after 5:00 pm on Thursday, 6/10/2021.
Please plan to attend our June 12th Endorsement Meeting:
All candidates who have requested endorsement consideration (or their representatives), per our bylaws and endorsement rules, will be given the opportunity to address our membership at our June 12th Endorsement Meeting. Candidate attendance is highly recommended but not required to be endorsed.
-2 minutes, for each candidate or official campaign representative
Question & Answer Session:
-1 minute response to each membership question provided (3-5 questions provided by the membership), only for candidates in attendance
-2 minutes, for candidates in attendance
Other Items of Note:
- Speaking order is in reverse of how candidacy positions are listed on the Auditor’s website.
- Each position up for endorsement will be provided with the opportunity of a separate Question & Answer session from other offices being considered for endorsement.
- A two minute video statement by the candidate is allowed if unable to attend the June 8th meeting – however – the video link/digital copy/flash drive must be received no later than Thursday, 6/10/2021 by 5pm. Please contact us ASAP for additional information.
- All voting is by paper ballot. Once ballot counting has begun, per our Standing Rules for Endorsement, no additional ballots will be accepted.
- Only members of the 42nd LD Democrats may vote at the endorsement meeting. To be a voting member you must be a Democratic PCO or Precinct Captain or a voter residing in the 42nd LD who has paid 2019 membership dues at least 14 days before the endorsement meeting. [ Click HERE to Pay Dues online . Dues must be paid by May 29th to be eligible to vote. ]
- We expect voting members to attend the entire endorsement meeting and evaluate all candidates. Coming to vote for only one candidate is disrespectful to the other candidates and to our endorsement process.
- One representative from each campaign may observe the tally count.
- Candidates are evaluated individually. This means our members can vote for all, some or none of the candidates. This means multiple endorsements are possible.
- Candidates must reach a 60% threshold of total votes to be endorsed.
- As Chair, I will personally call each candidate with the results of the tally count shortly after the results are official. The results will also be emailed to our membership and posted on our website within 24 hours at: https://wp.42dems.org/?page_id=560
- All candidates, members and visitors are asked to be courteous and respectful. Inflammatory language or personal attacks during the meeting will not be tolerated and offending candidates/members/visitors will be asked to leave.
Please review our Standing Rules for Endorsement and let us know if you have any additional questions:
Thank you for stepping up to run for office,
Chair for 42nd Legislative District Democrats